These days we're always pressed for time and always on the move. Instead of sacrificing nutrition with frozen dinners or takeout, check out this quick recipe for a delicious chickpea salad. It'll treat your body right. Bonus: It's vegetarian friendly!
Easy peasy chickpea salad
Serving size 4
This recipe is a little saviour when you have no time to scrape together a lunch or when you are one foot out the door with no money for takeout. It's quick, easy and actually quite healthy. We're talking decent quantities of protein, fibre, vitamin C, vitamin B, potassium and zinc. It's pretty much magic. Let's treat ourselves, shall we?
- 2 cups chickpeas, canned or cooked
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, add the chickpeas (strained and washed).
- Toss in the diced tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, onions and dill.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Toss the salad.
- Plate it.
- Sprinkle a pinch of dill on top for presentation and added flavour.
Add spinach for a more "salady" feel if that's your game. For a full-out meal, you can also add some steamed, chopped vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli. Experiment!
More on salad recipes
Tabbouleh: A very healthy salad
Picnic favourites: Salads
Grilled mango and sweet potato salad recipe