Hearty scalloped potatoes recipe
A perfectly comforting side dish
From SheKnows Canada
Whether you're serving pot roast, pork chops or turkey, this recipe for scalloped potatoes makes for the perfect side dish. The creamy quality and warm blend of cheeses are a comforting treat.
Serving size 6
These scalloped potatoes are a delicious and filling side dish that pairs beautifully with all your favourite meats and veggies. It's comfort food at its best!
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2-1/2 cups milk (roughly)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a greased baking dish, evenly distribute the potatoes, onions, butter, salt, pepper and 1/2 a cup of the Swiss cheese.
- Pour enough milk into the dish to almost cover the potato mixture.
- Cover with tinfoil, and bake in the oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. You will know it is done when most of the liquid has disappeared and the potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle the remaining Swiss cheese and parmesan overtop.
- Let the dish cool for 5–10 minutes before serving.
Note: Although you can make these scalloped potatoes in a glass baking pan, cleaning the pan afterward can be challenging. Save yourself the hassle and use a disposable aluminum pan instead.
more comfort foods
Recipes for a large crowd: Sloppy Joes and potato salad
Macaroni and cheese your way
Warm up this winter with a tasty bowl of chili
Recommended for You