Sunday brunch can be one of the highlights of the weekend. Keep it simple by making it ahead, and then sit back and enjoy a relaxing Sunday with your friends and family.
Make your Sunday brunch special by preparing these three yummy make-ahead brunch favourites. Then, simply add a fruit salad, fresh orange juice, coffee and tea and you have all the makings of a great midday meal!
Savoury breakfast muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons dried dill
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup grated aged or sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly grease muffin tins or line with baking cups; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and dill together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt, egg, milk and butter.
- Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the dry mixture. Add the cheese.
- Divide the muffin mix evenly among the cups.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Store overnight or freeze and reheat as desired.
Cheesy hash-brown casserole
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups grated aged or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and saute until tender.
- Combine all the ingredients, including the cooked onions, in a large mixing bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a large oven-proof casserole dish.
- Freeze or store in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to serve, heat oven to 350 degrees F and bake until thoroughly heated and bubbling, approximately 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
Ham and spinach quiche
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup par-cooked button mushrooms, well drained
- 1 cup finely diced cooked ham or shredded deli ham
- Pre-cook the pie crust according to the package instructions. Then reset oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat together the milk, flour, eggs and pepper.
- Spread half of the grated Swiss on the pre-cooked pie crust. Layer the spinach, mushrooms and ham on top.
- Pour in the egg mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Remove from oven, cool, then refrigerate overnight or freeze.
- To reheat, thaw, then warm in a 250 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until reheated through.
More breakfast and brunch ideas
Special brunch ideas
How to throw the perfect spring garden brunch
Make-ahead breakfast recipes