When there's a craving for summer barbecue in the middle of the cold months, I take out my griddle and make my own barbecue pork sandwiches in the warmth of the kitchen.
This is one of the simplest skewers I cook. The pork is soaked in rich tasting marinade for 24 hours (or even more if you want the meat to really absorb more flavors) and then quickly grilled on the griddle. When I add some slow-roasted tomatoes that I prepared beforehand, the sandwich doubles its deliciousness in one bite. You will love the combination of these two flavorful ingredients in one sandwich.
Pita bread with pork barbecue skewers and slow-roasted tomatoes recipe
If there is a sandwich that I can recommend to anyone who loves prominent tastes, I would definitely say this one because the pork, after being marinated for 24 hours, takes on a strong and delicious flavor. With the addition of the slow-roasted tomatoes which are equally tasty, the sandwich comes out an incredibly flavorful bite.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Inactive time: 24 hours | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 24 hours and 40 minutes
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Slow-roasted tomatoes (see recipe below)
- Lettuce or any salad leaves
- 6 pitas
- In a container with a cover, prepare the marinade by mixing the soy sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Adjust the quantity according to your taste. Add the pepper and the garlic, then mix.
- Marinate the pork in the marinade overnight (at least 24 hours).
- Prepare the slow-roasted tomatoes (see recipe below). You can also do this the night before.
- The following day, thread the pork in skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak them in water first), then discard the marinade.
- Over medium heat, brown all the sides of the pork skewers. Brush with extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve immediately with the warm pita bread, slow-roasted tomatoes and lettuce.
Slow-roasted tomatoes recipe
These tomatoes take some time in the oven, but they're so worth it.
Yields 1 cup
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 3 hours | Total time: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- 20 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, salt and oregano.
- Pour the sugar mixture, capers and 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil on the tomatoes then mix well to distribute the condiments thoroughly.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a baking pan.
- Bake in the oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. In the middle of cooking, drizzle with more extra virgin olive oil and mix.
For tons of great recipes, like our I page on Facebook.
More recipes with pita bread
Pita bread salad sandwich with Bolognese sauce recipe
Grilled Greek chicken pitas with simple tzatziki sauce recipe
BLT stuffed pitas with whipped feta recipe