I am by no means a fan of baking, but when the holidays roll around, so does my opinion on using the oven. Like everyone, I think cookies are always fun to bake in the winter and around holidays, but so are freshly baked, homemade loaves of bread.
This bread uses a combination of whole grains and oats that I processed into a fine flour by using the food processor, and is sweetened with raw honey and molasses.
If you are not familiar with molasses, it's a thick and dark, almost black in color, syrupy substance with a robust flavor. It is great for baking. Think of it almost as a super-high concentrated syrup made from sugar but with a slight bitter taste and definitely not as sweet. Another thing I love about using molasses in this recipe is the deep, rich color it gives the bread once it's done baking.
Homemade blackstrap molasses bread recipe
This rustic, robust bread gets its dark color from the molasses and is lightly sweetened with honey. It's perfect for breakfast, sandwiches or snacking.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 40 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch bread pan with the softened butter, and set it aside.
- To a mixing bowl, add the wheat flour, oat flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, raw honey and molasses, mixing very well.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until the dough is sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is elastic. Roll the dough into a log shape, and place it into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes or until the center is completely baked.
- Remove from the oven, and let the bread cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve as desired.
More homemade bread recipes
Easy homemade paleo bread
Pepperoni and spinach-stuffed bread
Homemade French bread