What is more comforting in the winter months than a piping-hot bowl of homemade chili? One thing I love about making chili is that you can put almost anything into it, and it tastes good — even without the meat!
I usually make a big batch of this vegetarian chili and serve it with cheesy jalapeño cornbread muffins. I decided to use my new mini loaf pan that I found online and turn my muffins into little, personal-sized loaves, and they worked great for dipping into this tasty chili. This chili recipe freezes well, so make a big batch, and freeze some for later.
Veggie chili with mini jalapeño cornbread loaves recipe
This simple homemade veggie chili cooks in one pot and is served with cheesy jalapeño cornbread loaves for a super-easy dinner.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
For the chili
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 1 cup white beans
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 envelope chili mix
- 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Fresh sliced jalapeños and green onions, for garnish (optional)
For the mini jalapeño cornbread loaves
- 1 (8-1/2 ounce) box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 fresh jalapeño, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat, and add all the ingredients for the chili.
- Mix very well, and cover the pot with the lid. Simmer the chili for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure all the vegetables have cooked down and are soft.
- While the chili is simmering, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a mini loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, prepare the Jiffy cornbread mix as directed on the box.
- To the prepared cornbread mix, stir in the jalapeño slices and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into the mini loaf pan, and bake for 15 minutes or until the cornbread is a golden brown color.
- Remove from the oven, and serve warm with the veggie chili.
More chili recipes
Vegan wheat berry black bean chili
Wendy's copycat chili
Jalapeño popper chili