When entertaining for the holidays or large gatherings, the last thing I want is my guests to be standing around starving. I love making finger foods and appetizers that are easy but look and taste gourmet. This fun and easy cheese ball recipe I came across caught my eye, and since I love mango, I knew I had to give it a shot. It's an easy appetizer that's literately bursting with the flavors of mango chutney, lots of spices and crunchy pumpkin seeds.
This cheese ball is full of so many unique flavors and textures in each bite. It does have a bit of a spicy kick, but it's not overpowering, and I think the hint of heat adds just the right balance to the sweet mango. You can serve this cheese ball with any fresh cut vegetables or just about any cracker you have on hand or that you love. Even tortilla chips would work here. To save even more time, you can prepare this recipe a few days or so ahead of time and just coat it in the pumpkin seeds before serving.
Curried mango chutney cheese ball recipe
Softened cream cheese is combined with fresh mango, mango chutney and spices, then rolled in toasted pumpkin seeds for a delicious, unique spin on a cheese ball. Serve with crackers, veggies or even chips.
Adapted from Mango & Tomato
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 3 hours | Total time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 1 cup extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup fresh mango, finely diced
- 1/4 good-quality mango chutney
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for coating the cheese ball
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the cheese ball except for the pumpkin seeds.
- Using a hand mixer or a sturdy spatula or spoon, mix all the ingredients very well.
- Scoop the mixture into the center of a large piece of plastic wrap, and form into a ball.
- Cover the cheese ball completely in the plastic wrap, and refrigerate for several hours to allow the cheese ball to firm up.
- Before serving, remove the cheese ball from the plastic wrap.
- Place the pumpkin seeds into a small bowl, and roll the cheese ball in the bowl, coating all sides with seeds.
- Place the cheese ball onto a serving plate along with any assorted crackers you have on hand and/or fresh vegetables, such as peppers, celery or cucumbers, for serving.
More cheese ball recipes
Peanut butter-Nutella cheese ball
Carrot-shaped cheese ball
Festive snowman cheese ball