Skillet recipes are my favorite recipes to make, especially in the winter months, when I use my oven the most. This easy chicken dish is infused with a creamy white wine sauce and baked in the oven in a cast-iron skillet for a dinner that comes together super fast.
Don’t worry about the white wine in this recipe. While it cooks, the alcohol dissipates (which is good for some of us and bad for others). The sauce is velvety and rich and really pairs well with the chicken. I love serving this over steamed rice or even just alongside some fresh cooked vegetables. This also makes a great lunch to pack for work, since it reheats well.
Winter white wine-apple cider chicken skillet recipe
Inspired by Martha Stewart
Chicken is roasted in a rich, creamy, velvety, white wine-infused sauce for an easy, one-pot meal. Serve over cooked rice or with steamed veggies to round out this easy dinner.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small apple, diced
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Cooked rice or steamed vegetables, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a medium-size, cast-iron skillet or other oven-safe pan over medium heat.
- Add the butter, onions, shallots and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine, broth and heavy cream, bring the mixture to a light simmer, and cook for about 5 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, and place the chicken, onions and apples into the skillet.
- Bake the chicken uncovered for 30 minutes or until completely cooked.
- Remove from the oven, and divide the chicken among 4 dinner plates.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve warm with cooked rice or vegetables.
More winter-inspired recipes
7 One-pot winter meals
Savory winter squash recipes
Rustic winter pilaf