I have always loved bagels, but I have never thought to throw bagels into my Thanksgiving menu plan. Then I saw there was a sale on everything bagels, and my brain went to work.
I combined the deliciousness of a bagel with spicy Italian sausage, onions, fresh herbs and a little crunchy celery. This stuffing turned out even more delicious than I thought it would. It would shine on your Thanksgiving table or even work as a simple dinner side dish.
Everything bagel stuffing recipe
Bagels aren't just for breakfast anymore. This simple stuffing is packed full of everything bagels, Italian sausage, vegetables and fresh herbs. It's the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving spread.
Yields 1 (9 x13-inch) dish
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 8 count everything bagel thins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Italian sausage links, removed from casing
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- Separate the bagels in half, and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
- Add the cubes to a large baking sheet, and toast them under the broiler till lightly browned.
- Remove the cubes from the oven, add them to a large bowl, and set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the Italian sausage, and break it up while it's browning.
- When the sausage is lightly browned, add in the celery and sweet onion. Continue cooking until the sausage is fully browned and the vegetables are soft. Stir in the fresh sage, thyme, kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the sausage mixture to the breadcrumbs, and stir to combine.
- Add in the chicken stock until your mixture is moist but not dripping.
- Add the stuffing to a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the top is crispy and the inside of the stuffing is moist and hot.
More stuffing recipes
Smoked chorizo stuffing
Savory holiday stuffing