I will almost always choose cupcakes over cake. Not that I don't love cake, but cupcakes are just so much more fun. Plus the frosting-to-cake ratio is a bit more fair in the cupcake department.
These peppermint mocha latte cupcakes are perfect for the holidays or just winter in general. I added a little coffee flavor to the cake and topped it all off with a super-minty frosting. It's a balance of holiday flavors you will want to eat over and over again.
Peppermint mocha latte cupcakes recipe
These sweet peppermint mocha cupcakes are the perfect holiday dessert. They're packed full of minty flavor and a breeze to make.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
For the cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix plus the ingredients called for
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup crushed candy canes
For the cake
- Preheat the oven according to the box directions, and line a 24-cavity cupcake tray with paper liners, or spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the box directions, and stir in the espresso powder and mint extract at the end.
- Fill the cupcake cavities 2/3 full, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until they spring back in the middle and a toothpick comes out clean when tested in the middle.
- Let the cupcakes cool on the counter, and then remove them from the pan.
- Frost with frosting, and enjoy.
For the frosting
- To the bowl of an electric mixer, add the butter. Whip on high speed until the butter is fluffy.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar, and alternate with milk. Continue until all the sugar and milk have been added.
- Whip on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add in the peppermint extract and candy canes, and beat for 20 seconds to combine.
See all our holiday articles
More cupcake recipes
Hot chocolate cupcakes
Milk and cookie cupcakes
Greek baklava cupcakes