This is absolute comfort food at its best: taking the concept of a hearty cheeseburger and converting it into a cheesy, creamy soup.
My husband's all-time favorite food is a cheeseburger. He loves them — fast food, sit-down restaurant or even homemade. So when I converted his favorite food into a comforting soup for chilly days, I knew he would love it. I was right. He went crazy over this soup and claimed it was the very next best thing to a real cheeseburger. So this recipe is definitely going on our list of favorites.
This soup doesn't take too long to prepare and is a pretty simple dinner to make. There are basically three steps: cooking the meat, steaming the vegetables in the broth and making the creamy cheese base. The steps flow together, and preparation is no more than 30 minutes. Plus, this soup will make your home smell absolutely wonderful.
It's time to get to transforming your favorite burger into a soup. Enjoy.
Cheeseburger soup recipe
This delicious soup is comfort food at its best. This soup has all the flavors you know and love from America's famous sandwich — the cheeseburger.
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 10-12 minutes I Total time: 40-42 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Freshly chopped parsley, for topping (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, brown the ground beef. Drain, and set aside.
- To the same saucepan, add the onion and celery. Sauté with 1 tablespoon of butter until tender.
- Add the broth, potatoes and ground beef, and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and let the mixture simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, and briskly whisk in the flour. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, and then add the cheese to the mixture, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in the milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the cheese melts. Remove from heat, and stir in the sour cream.
- If desired, garnish with chopped parsley.
More soup recipes
Chunky vegetable soup with lentils
Slow cooker chicken chili soup
Cantonese corn soup