I'll admit I'm not a huge breakfast person mainly because I hate making breakfast. I'm still waking up, and the last thing I feel like doing first thing in the morning is dragging out things to cook. But even though I dislike cooking in the early morning, I still have a family to feed. I have been making homemade freezer breakfast burritos for a while now, and they really, truly come in more handy than I expected.
You can certainly buy prepared breakfast burritos at the grocery store, but let's face it — they aren't healthy. When you make your own, you can control the flavors and fill them full of good-for-your-body ingredients. These are great for kids on their way to school, husbands who have to scoot out the door quickly or busy moms with little ones to tend to.
A healthy, homemade breakfast is right at your fingertips. Just make them ahead of time, and stash them in the freezer for a quick morning meal on the go.
Easy homemade freezer breakfast burritos recipe
These tortillas are filled with organic eggs, all-natural turkey sausage, diced veggies and cheese, but add your favorite burrito fillings to customize to your liking. Simply freeze and reheat for a super-quick breakfast.
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 6 whole organic eggs
- 6 organic egg whites
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound all-natural turkey sausage, crumbled
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 12 whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese (any flavor desired)
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large handful fresh herbs, such as cilantro or parsley
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine the whole eggs, egg whites and garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well, and pour into the pan.
- Lightly cook the eggs for 5 minutes or until they are fluffy and no longer runny.
- Transfer the cooked eggs to a bowl, and return the pan to the heat.
- Add the crumbled sausage, diced onion and black beans. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the sausage is completely cooked and the onions are soft. Once done, transfer to a bowl.
- Divide the egg-sausage mixture among the tortillas.
- Sprinkle each burrito with shredded cheese, and top with diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Roll up each tortilla burrito style as tightly as possible.
- Place the burritos in a freezer-safe bag, and freeze.
- When ready to enjoy, place the burrito on a microwave-safe plate, and heat for 2 minutes or until the center is warm.
More make-ahead breakfast ideas
17 Make-ahead breakfasts
Easy make-ahead brunch recipes