One-pot meals are a go-to in my house. As a busy mom and a wife, life gets pretty chaotic, but even so, life in the kitchen can't stop.
One thing I always suggest to those looking to get into cooking is to have a few cooking essentials on hand: one being great knives, the other a cast-iron Dutch oven or a large pot with a lid. You will be amazed at how versatile these pots are for so many different recipes.
This hearty fall soup, cooked in that beloved Dutch oven, is full of vegetables, mini pasta and quinoa. It's flavorful and filling yet healthy. This soup also freezes well if you have space in your freezer.
One-pot Italian quinoa pasta and beans soup recipe
Vegetables are simmered in a tomato-based broth along with mini penne pasta and quinoa. This easy rustic dish is perfect for a healthy, comforting dinner.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 cups canned crushed San Marzano tomatoes or other canned tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 5 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic paste or 4 cloves minced garlic
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mini penne pasta or other small shaped pasta
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh chopped basil or parsley, for garnish (optional)
- To a 5-quart Dutch oven or large soup pot, add the olive oil, onions, carrots and celery. Lightly sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, vegetable broth, Italian seasoning, marjoram, garlic, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Cover, and simmer the soup for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the pasta and quinoa to the pot, and stir well. Simmer the soup for an additional 10 minutes or until the pasta and quinoa have cooked completely. (If you notice too much liquid has been absorbed, then add extra vegetable broth to get the desired consistency.)
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with fresh Parmesan cheese and parsley.
More comforting soup recipes
Wild mushroom soup
Roasted broccoli and garlic cheddar soup
Chicken and cheese tortellini soup