Takeout food is definitely convenient, but what if I told you that you could make something just as delicious at home easily?
My kids love getting Chinese food, but it's not always the best option, since many of the chicken dishes are battered and fried. In this idiot-proof version of General Tso's chicken, I lightly browned organic chicken breast and added it to the slow cooker along with a spicy Asian sauce. This is such a simple recipe and perfect for busy families. I recommend serving this dish over steamed rice or a veggie fried rice.
Slow cooker General Tso's chicken recipe
This is a simple and easy, foolproof recipe for Asian takeout at home. Organic chicken is browned and slow-cooked in the slow cooker for this tasty takeout-inspired family meal. Serve over steamed white or fried rice.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours 5 minutes | Total time: 6 hours 20 minutes
For the chicken
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 4 organic chicken breasts, chopped into pieces
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic paste or 3-4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder and crushed red pepper flakes, mixing well.
- To the bowl, add the chicken pieces, and using your hands, toss well to evenly coat, shaking off the excess mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the oil.
- Add the chicken to the pan, and lightly brown it on all sides for about 3 to 4 minutes (the chicken will not be fully cooked).
- Remove the chicken from the heat, and place it in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce, and mix well. Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces, and cover the slow cooker with the lid.
- Set the cooker to low, and cook for 6 hours or until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Serve warm over steamed or fried rice.
- Store leftovers for up to 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Asian recipes you can make at home
Pad thai chicken nachos
Quick Asian noodles with shrimp
Easy peanut noodle bowls