Whether you're looking for a healthy after-school snack, or a sweet treat, these witch's broomsticks are sure to please.
The handles for both sets of brooms are made from pretzel sticks. The variation is in the bristles of the broom, which can be made from cheese sticks for a savory snack, or pull apart Twizzlers for a candy version.
While the brooms are quite easy to make, the tie around the top of the bristles can be tricky. Just remember that it's pretty much just for decoration.
If you tie the chive too tightly, it can tear, so try doing it just tight enough so that it stays in place.
For the candy version of the broomsticks, try twisting the strand of Twizzlers if tying it is giving you trouble.
Whether you go savory or sweet, these are super-cute Halloween treats.
Candy witch's broom recipe
These sweet brooms are a breeze to make. If you have a little trouble getting the candy bristles to stay in place, try wetting your fingers with water before pressing them together.
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 pull apart Twizzlers candy
- 2 pretzel sticks
- Cut the Twizzlers candy into 3 even pieces. Two will be for the broom bristles and the third piece will pull apart to make the ties.
- Gently untwist the center of 1 Twizzlers piece to make a hole.
- Stick the end of 1 pretzel stick into the hole, then fold the Twizzler in half, over that short end of the pretzel.
- Carefully pull apart the Twizzlers' ends, leaving the center portion that's wrapped over the pretzel connected.
- Use a strand from your third Twizzlers piece to wrap around the top of the bristles to help hold everything in place.
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 with remaining pretzel stick and Twizzlers piece.
Cheese witch's broom recipe
Kids and adults love the realistic look of these witch's broom snacks. If you don't have chives, you can thinly slice green onions lengthwise to use for your ties.
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 mozzarella cheese stick
- 3 pretzel sticks
- 3 chives
- Cut the cheese stick into 3 equal sections.
- Poke a pretzel stick into 1 end of each cheese section.
- Carefully pull apart the cheese strands from the opposite end, to about 2/3 of the way up.
- Wrap a chive around, 2/3 of the way from the bottom of your bristles. Tie the chive carefully and cut off the extra ends.
- Repeat with remaining brooms.
More healthy Halloween snack ideas
Candy corn fruit skewers
Halloween cheese mummy
Frightful fruit kebabs