The aroma of a curry dish wafting through your kitchen is captivating. This dish offers more than just a great fragrance: You'll adore its sweet and creamy coconut milk base, tender and hearty vegetables and light emerald hue.
You might think cooking up a curry dish is difficult, but I'm here to tell you otherwise. This Meatless Monday recipe for green Thai curry with zucchini and mushrooms pulls together in just about the blink of an eye, and before you know it, you'll have a delicious dinner ready to serve.
It's neither complicated nor time consuming to make this delightful meal. Prepared curry paste is the key to a quick prep, and it's easy to find in most grocery stores. Keep in mind that not all green curry pastes are vegetarian, so be sure to check out the label of the paste you select.
Green Thai curry with zucchini and mushrooms recipe
It's easy to sub in your favorite veggies for this curry. Instead of (or in addition to) zucchini, add asparagus pieces or green beans. Baby corn is a nice addition too. Rice is a nice complement to this rich dish, garnished with lime and fresh cilantro.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15-18 minutes | Total time: 25-28 minutes
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian green Thai curry paste
- 6 ounces diced cremini mushrooms (or other variety)
- 6 ounces green zucchini, sliced in rounds, then quartered
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, plus extra as garnish
- Limes sliced into rounds, as garnish
- To a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the curry paste. Break it down with the back of a large spoon, and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes to the mixture. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, and add the lime juice and fresh cilantro.
- Serve warm over the cooked rice, garnished with lime rounds and cilantro.
Serve a delightful curry dish for dinner.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Black bean and mushroom posole
Homemade soy chorizo and lentil lettuce wraps with cilantro-cream sauce
Skillet cauliflower and zucchini hash with eggs