I recently traveled to South Carolina with my family. The meals were incredible, and I couldn't get enough fried chicken or cheesy shrimp and grits to satisfy my cravings. In fact, I came home wanting more and more of these Southern-inspired comfort foods.
This past week I ran to the store to pick up some fresh shrimp and came home to make this cheddar stone-ground grits with bacon and shrimp. You can never go wrong with a big bowl of cheesy grits. This recipe is truly a Southern classic.
Cheddar stone-ground grits with bacon and shrimp recipe
Adapted from Carolina Creole
A true Southern staple recipe made with stone-ground grits along with cheese, bacon and shrimp. This dish will leave you wanting more after you have cleaned your plate.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup stone-ground grits
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 2 cooked bacon strips
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and then reduce to low. Cover, and cook for an additional 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the cheese.
- To a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the shrimp, and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Place the grits into a shallow dish or bowl. Top with the shrimp and bacon.
More Southern recipes
Southern-style black-eyed peas
Perfect buttermilk biscuits
Mini chicken and waffle sandwich