No matter how often I make it, I still get a kick out of spaghetti squash. I love to discover the yellow strands of veggie "spaghetti" tucked inside, not to mention the fact that it makes a great gluten-free (and low-carb) substitute for the real deal.
This GF Friday dish for spicy shrimp and spaghetti squash with Gorgonzola can be on your table in about 30 minutes, and it's big on flavor. One of my favorite things about this dish is that it's not heavy, and it still gives you a little creaminess when you add the Gorgonzola at the end. The cheese softens up nicely from the heat of the dish and is a nice complement to the shrimp, spices and "spaghetti."
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Spicy shrimp and spaghetti squash with Gorgonzola recipe
This recipe is flavorful and easy to make with just a few ingredients. If you don't have diced tomatoes, then you can just use your favorite pasta sauce. You can pair spaghetti squash with the same things you'd serve with traditional pasta — anything from marinara to pesto.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 8 ounces frozen jumbo shrimp, thawed and tails removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, divided
- 2-3 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, divided
- Pierce the spaghetti squash all over with a sharp knife, and microwave it on high for 15 minutes. Remove, and allow the squash to cool down for about 5 minutes. Use a sharp knife to slice the squash in half, vertically, and use a fork to scrape out the strands of the squash. Remove the seeds, and discard them. Set the strands of squash aside. Discard the two halves of the squash.
- As the squash is cooling, add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and cook for about 3 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the garlic, and cook for about 1 minute, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the skillet, along with the salt, black and red pepper and paprika. Toss to combine, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp, and cook for about 3 minutes or until they turn pink. Add 1 tablespoon of fresh, torn parsley to the mixture, and toss to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Add the spaghetti squash to the pan, and toss to combine.
- Divide the mixture between 2 plates, and sprinkle 1/2 the Gorgonzola over the top of each along with the remaining parsley leaves as garnish.
- Serve warm.
Discover the great taste of spaghetti squash.
More gluten-free recipes
Grilled steak salad with blue cheese and caramelized onions
Cauliflower-crust pizza with grilled corn, zucchini and tomatoes