This past year, cauliflower crust took over the web and print outlets. People were trying cauliflower-crust pizzas left and right, but they were missing out on another great possibility. Cue this amazing burger without the bun. That's right — I made cauliflower-crusted buns for this fun burger treat.
I highly recommend you eat it right away, with no reheating involved. Who likes a soggy heated bun, and cauliflower acts the same way. Also, it's more delicate than a bun, so get the fork and knife ready just in case.
Cauliflower burger buns recipe
Watching your carb intake? Try this low-carb, cauliflower-crusted burger with no bun. It looks the same as a regular burger but with more flavor.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 meat patties
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 head lettuce
- Boil the cauliflower in the water until tender, and then drain. Place it into a food processor along with the egg, breadcrumbs, salt and cheese. Blend to a fine consistency.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. Make a ball with the cauliflower about 1/4 cup in size, and place it into the hot oil. Gently smash it down to flatten it. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Repeat until all cauliflower crusts are made.
- While you are making the crusts, heat another skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties until brown or until internal temperatures reach 170 degrees F.
- To assemble the burgers, take 1 cauliflower crust, top it with meat, lettuce and tomato, and then top with another cauliflower crust.
More burger recipes
Korean BBQ turkey burger