We try to eat seafood at least once or twice a week, but unlike for beef and chicken, I always feel like I need a "plan" when it comes to seafood. Beef and chicken I can totally wing as I sift through whatever ingredients I have on hand to concoct a quick dinner, but seafood warrants some thought.
Thought doesn't mean difficult, though. This scallop dish combines Brussels sprouts and bacon for a delicious-tasting meal that is really quite simple to make. There are three steps and three things to cook (the longest of which is getting those Brussels softened up), but the recipe itself couldn't be easier, and in the end you have perfectly seared scallops atop a bed of caramelized Brussels sprouts with salty bacon bits.
Dinner in a pinch can still be gourmet. Scallops are one of the simplest seafood options out there.
Seared scallops with bacon Brussels sprouts recipe
Sea scallops are seared in butter and bacon grease to get the perfect caramelized exterior and served on top of Brussels sprouts with salty bacon bits.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and pat dry
- 4 slices bacon
- 1-1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon, cook until crispy, and then set aside on a paper towel to drain. Reserve the bacon grease in a small bowl.
- Return the skillet to the heat, and add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the chicken broth. Scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan, add the Brussels sprouts, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, and continue cooking another 7 to 10 minutes, until the liquid has cooked off and the Brussels sprouts start to turn golden brown on the bottom.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts to a serving bowl, and set aside.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon grease back to the skillet along with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Once the butter has melted, place the scallops into the skillet, and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.
- Place the cooked scallops on top of the Brussels sprouts in the bowl, chop the bacon, sprinkle it on top, and serve.
More scallop recipes
Baked scallops with cheese
Peach bourbon BBQ scallops
No-fuss 10-minute scallops with Champagne sauce