Fall is my absolute favorite season of the entire year. Leaves start changing, the air becomes crisper, apples and pumpkins are everywhere, and that happens to be exactly what inspired this recipe.
During my grocery shopping trips, my son demands getting one of those little pumpkins that are displayed at almost every supermarket you go to this time of year. Needless to say, we had a small pile of gourds in our kitchen, and I wanted to figure out a way to use them rather than have them go bad. I roasted a small sugar pumpkin along with fresh apples, spices and a splash of coconut cream, creating this tummy-pleasing soup that is totally vegan-friendly and perfect for the fall.
Roasted sugar pumpkin-fresh apple soup recipe
If you love pumpkins, apples and spices, then whip up this deliciously easy, fragrant soup for a light meal. This completely dairy-free, vegan-friendly soup also freezes well, making it great when you just want a single bowl without heating up an entire pot.
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 sweet variety apples, such as Honeycrisp or Fuji, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size sugar pumpkin (about 4-5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Drizzle olive oil, for garnish
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a large pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the diced apples and the onions, and cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds, and rub the cut side with olive oil. Place the pumpkin cut side up onto the baking sheet, and roast it in the oven for about 60 minutes or until the pumpkin is fork tender.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven, and let it cool. Using a spoon, remove the flesh from the pumpkin, and add it to the apples and onions.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, cover, and simmer on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse the soup until it's smooth and creamy and there are no lumps.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with extra cream, olive oil and pumpkin seeds. Best served warm.
More pumpkin recipes
29 Sweet and savory pumpkin recipes
Peekaboo pumpkin pound cake
Pumpkin hot chocolate