One of my favorite fruits is ripe, juicy nectarines. Sure, they are good for snacking on, but why not get creative and put them in your salad?
In this dish I used fresh, organic nectarines and sliced them for a juicy addition to fresh salad greens. I also wanted to add texture and additional flavors to this dish, and chose to add crunchy, toasted pumpkin seeds and tangy feta. These sweet and salty flavors really complement each other and make a wonderfully light vegetarian main course or a perfect side for grilled chicken.
End-of-summer nectarine salad recipe
- 3-4 organic nectarines, sliced
- 4 cups fresh organic salad greens (I used spring mix)
- 1/2 cup roasted corn kernels (or substitute with canned corn)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced or wedged
- 1/4 cup poppy seed or vinegar-based salad dressing (plus extra, if desired)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Croutons for topping (optional)
- To a large bowl, add the nectarine slices, salad greens, corn, onion, cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Drizzle the salad dressing over top, and gently toss to evenly coat the ingredients.
- Divide the salad among 4 salad plates or bowls.
- Garnish each salad with crumbled feta, pumpkin seeds and croutons, if desired.
- Best served immediately.
Tip: For a more filling salad, try adding grilled chicken or grilled shrimp to this dish.
More delicious salad recipes
Copycat Whole Foods California quinoa salad
Easy, delicious grilled salads
Salad dressing secrets