This dish is a double whammy when it comes to great flavors. For something traditional yet slightly different, try this recipe for gluten-free spaghetti-and-meatball-stuffed peppers.
Stuffed peppers as well as spaghetti and meatballs make favorite meals for many of us. Have you ever thought to combine them? Not only is this a fun way to bring added veggies into a standard spaghetti and meatball meal, but the bell peppers hold all the ingredients perfectly. I used brown rice spaghetti (you could use another type of gluten-free spaghetti) and shrunk the meatballs down to a manageable size for this dish. I guarantee your guests will get a kick out of this flavorful meal.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Gluten-free spaghetti-and-meatball-stuffed peppers recipe
- 4 green bell peppers, 1/2 inch of the top cut off, seeds and membrane removed
- 8 ounces uncooked brown rice spaghetti
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, tips cut off, sliced small
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, torn, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 red pepper flakes
- 1 (25 ounce) jar prepared pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- To make the meatballs, add the ground beef, egg, Parmesan cheese, garlic, onion, parsley, salt, black pepper and red pepper to a large bowl. Use your hands to mix all the ingredients together.
- Pinch off the ground beef mixture, and shape into 1-inch-small meatballs.
- To a large stockpot over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the meatballs, and lightly brown them on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the meatballs from the pot, and drain and discard the oil. Return the meatballs to the pot.
- Add the pasta sauce to the pot, and simmer on low heat until you're ready to assemble the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the bell peppers to a microwave-safe dish with about 1 tablespoon of water in the dish, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the bell peppers from the dish, and place each in 1 well of a muffin tin (this will help them stand upright). Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions, drain it, and then add it to the meatball mixture. Toss to combine.
- Evenly divide the spaghetti and meatballs among the bell peppers in the muffin tin, filling each all the way to the top.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and torn parsley.
- Serve warm.
Get stuffed with this main dish meal.
More gluten-free recipes
Gluten-free cilantro-lime shrimp and guacamole sopes
Gluten-free chicken and mango salad with jalapeño-honey dressing
Gluten-free cauliflower-crust pizza with grilled corn, zucchini and tomatoes