Grilling season isn't over yet. Get this flavorful marinade together for veggies and tempeh, skewer them, and get your grill going.
I'm working the grill as long as I can this season, and that means I'll be making this Meatless Monday recipe for basil-lime grilled tempeh-and-tomato skewers a few more times. Once you give these a try, you'll likely do the same. The basil-lime marinade is so flavorful (and easy to make), and the tomatoes, onion and tempeh soak it up nicely.
Tempeh is a terrific meatless option for grilling. It stands up nicely on the grill, and when you see those gorgeous grill marks, well, you'll be clamoring for a plateful.
Basil-lime grilled tempeh-and-tomato skewers recipe
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 basil leaves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 2- to 3-inch triangles
- 12 ounces heirloom (or regular) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 large onion, cut into 2-inch wedges
- 3 limes, cut into wedges
- 6 wooden grilling skewers, soaked for at least 1 hour
- To a bowl, add the lime juice, orange juice, garlic, salt, black pepper, onion powder, red pepper flakes, honey and olive oil. Whisk to combine, and then add in the basil.
- To a small bowl, add 3 tablespoons of the mixture, and set it aside. Divide the remaining mixture in half, and add 1 portion to a large, zippered baggie along with the tempeh. Then add the second portion to another zippered baggie with the tomatoes and onions.
- Seal the bags, and gently massage the liquid into the tempeh and the vegetables. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, turning the baggies occasionally.
- Remove the tempeh and the vegetables from the baggies (discard the liquid), and thread them, alternating, onto the skewers. Add 1 lime wedge to the bottom of each skewer, and another to the top.
- Grill the skewers over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes total, turning a few times. Toward the end of grilling, brush the reserved liquid over both sides of the tempeh and vegetables.
- Remove from the heat, and serve immediately with extra basil as garnish.
Get on the stick and make this Meatless Monday dish today.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Skillet cauliflower and zucchini hash with eggs
Stuffed zucchini with herbed orzo, almonds and fresh tomato sauce
Green goddess salad wraps