Tomato tarts are one of the very best savory tarts. The ingredients are simple and nutritious, and the rustic look is just gorgeous.
When my husband and I still had some free time years ago, we wouldn't miss starting our own tomato patch when the planting season arrived. We would go to the local farmers market and choose a variety of tomatoes to plant. We treated them like babies, from when the first blooms came out to the tomatoes themselves. They were usually ugly, a visual disappointment compared to the perfect-looking ones at the market, but the flavor was incredible. When we had a fairly good amount of harvest, I would make tomato tarts.
This recipe is one of the best ways to feature the tomatoes in one savory plate. If you use good tomatoes, then this tart can't miss. Going for a Mediterranean flavor is my favorite style of cooking, and in this recipe, I simply mixed the different kinds of small tomatoes with the typical ingredients.
Mediterranean tomato tart recipe
- Knob butter
- 1 store-bought round shortcrust pastry dough
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes (different kinds), halved or quartered
- 2 tablespoons olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush a 13 x 3-inch tart pan with butter, and then sprinkle it with flour. Shake off the excess.
- Press the dough into the bottom and along the sides of the tart pan.
- Pass a rolling pin on top of the pan to cut off the edges of the dough.
- Using a fork, prick the bottom of the dough to prevent bubbles.
- Brush the dough with the Dijon mustard.
- Lightly squeeze the sliced tomatoes to remove some of the seeds and liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, capers, dried oregano, basil, salt and olive oil.
- Fill the tart with the tomato mixture.
- Bake on the middle rack for 30 minutes or until the tart is cooked through.
More tart recipes
Mini puff pastry tarts with asparagus, pancetta and cream of Parmesan
Olive and goat cheese tartlets
Artichoke and feta tart