I learned how to make bloody marys when I was 10 years old. Say what?
My grandfather was famous for his cocktails and happily showed me how to make them. I know it's probably wildly inappropriate to teach a 10-year-old how to make cocktails, but it was an awesome time. It was our way of bonding and working together.
Normally we would make bloody marys with just plain tomato juice, but when you do that, you skip the step of adding in more tasty ingredients that give you a perfect mix. Once you make your mix, all you have to do is add some ice, vodka and a stalk of celery.
Homemade heirloom tomato bloody mary mix recipe
Yields 5 cups
- 6 pounds heirloom tomatoes, stems removed
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated horseradish
- 3 teaspoons celery salt
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- To a high-powered blender, add all the ingredients, and blend until smooth and completely combined. If you a use a powerful enough blender, then your mixture should be smooth. If it's not, then you can try straining your mixture to make sure no chunks remain.
- Keep the mixture cold, and use it for cocktails.
- To make a bloody mary, simply fill a glass with ice and 2 ounces of vodka, and then top with your homemade bloody mary mix. Garnish with a celery stalk, if desired.
More bloody mary recipes
3 Extra-spicy bloody marys
5 Bloody marys that overachieved
Cajun bloody mary