One thing I love about summer is having an endless selection of fresh ingredients from which to choose. Here I've put together a harmonious combination of fruity and floral flavors, paired with a mild-tasting cheese.
I love it when a vast array of colorful and aromatic fruits and vegetables graces the stands in the markets. There is a lot to choose from, and the fresh salads I can put together are countless. I tend to be more inspired to create new dishes with the availability of fresh ingredients. Aside from the flavors, what stimulates me is the contrast of the vibrant colors of the fruits and vegetables.
What I like about this salad is that the flavors of the ingredients don't compete with one another. There is a certain smooth flow of floral and fruity accents that are very summery and light. It epitomizes what summer is all about in one beautiful plate.
Peas, melon and feta salad with elderflower vinaigrette recipe
- 1 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
- 3 cups melon balls (taken from 1 small melon)
- 1 cup lettuce (any kind)
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon elderflower syrup (can be substituted with other berry syrups, like raspberry)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons almond oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- Salt and pepper
- In a small pot over high heat, boil some salted water. Fill a small bowl with ice and water to blanch the peas.
- Once the water is boiling, cook the peas for 1 minute, and then transfer them to the bowl of ice and water. Leave them there until they cool down, and then drain and set them aside.
- In a small bowl, prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together the elderflower syrup, Dijon mustard, wine vinegar, almond oil, salt and pepper. Adjust quantities according to taste. Set aside.
- In a serving bowl, distribute the lettuce, arugula, melon, peas and feta.
- When ready to eat, pour the vinaigrette onto the salad.
More melon recipes
Honeydew melon soup
Refreshing watermelon and cucumber salad with feta and mint
Gluten-free minty melon pops