Lose the boxed stuff and make this easy homemade cheesy taco-flavored hamburger right in your own kitchen.
Sure, pre-packaged meals make dinner a little easier when life gets in the way. But with a few simple ingredients you can create a popular skillet dish made right at home. Here you can use lean ground beef or lean turkey breast. I cooked the meat in a skillet, then added cooked macaroni pasta and made a rich and creamy cheese sauce that I seasoned with taco seasonings. This is a simple recipe that family members of all ages will enjoy.
Here's our version of cheesy taco Hamburger Helper
Yield 4-6 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 cups low-fat organic milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/2 cups cooked elbow pasta
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the lean ground beef or turkey and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain the liquid from the meat and add the milk and heavy cream. Stir the mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and spoon into bowls. Best served warm.
More homemade recipes
Homemade Cracker Jacks
Homemade cherry bagels
Homemade power bars