I can vividly remember the one time we had tater tots at home for dinner. I sat down at the table and was shocked my usually "no junk food in the house" mom had allowed on the dinner table what I considered only a school lunch treat.
Needless to say, I didn't complain and happily ate them next to what I'm guessing was probably chicken and broccoli on my plate (our usual staple).
Had this tater tot casserole appeared on our dinner table, I think my jaw would've dropped in shock, but really, it's a delicious combination of sweet sausage, healthy spinach and a fun, crispy potato topping that's perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
I'm betting everyone, including the kids, will dig right in once they see those golden puffs.
Spinach, sausage and egg tater tot casserole recipe
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped greens (spinach, kale, swiss chard, etc.)
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 bag frozen sweet potato (or regular) tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and onions until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat from the pan.
- Add the greens to the skillet, and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, until wilted.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish, and spread it evenly on the bottom.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the sausage and greens in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan on top, and bake for about 20 minutes, until the egg mixture is set around the edges but still just slightly liquid in the middle.
- Remove from the oven, and raise the temperature to 425 degrees F.
- Line the top of the casserole with the tater tots. Return the dish to oven, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Finish the casserole under the broiler for about 2 minutes to crisp up the tater tots, and then serve warm.
More casserole recipes
Individual chili casseroles topped with cornbread
Tuscan eggplant casserole
Beef enchilada casserole