If you have worked hard all year to get ready for bathing suit season, here are four healthy swaps that will keep your waistlines trim and your taste buds satisfied.
Summer is officially underway, and so is BBQ season. Research shows that BBQ-goers consume more than the recommended daily intake of calories in a single barbecue meal, with men often eating more than 3,500 calories and women more than 2,500. If you have worked hard all year to get ready for bathing suit season, here are four healthy swaps that will keep your waistlines trim and your taste buds satisfied.
- Swap out: ice pops
- Swap in: frozen banana on a stick. This higher fiber option adds crunch to your treat. Cut a peeled banana in half. Place a skewer into each of the sections. Dip the banana into plain yogurt or vanilla flavored yogurt for added sweetness. Roll banana in granola. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
Photo credit: Chocolate Covered Katie
- Swap out: BBQ potato chips
- Swap in: cut-up Strong & Kind Honey Smoked BBQ bars
This new savory bar from KIND tastes just as good as BBQ chips, but instead of being packed with sodium and artificial ingredients as most chips are, these are made with only wholesome ingredients such as almonds, seeds and legumes. Even better, they are a good source of protein so they help prevent over-snacking throughout the day.
Photo credit: Kind Snacks
- Swap out: mayo-based coleslaw and potato salad
- Swap in: Greek yogurt-based coleslaw and olive-oil-based potato salad. Swap in non-fat Greek yogurt for regular mayo and add a little apple cider vinegar to give coleslaw just the right flavor. For the potato salad, skip the eggs and add good fat by using an olive-oil-based dressing. Check out my perfectly patriotic recipe for a red, white and blue potato salad.
- Swap out: pina coladas and daiquiris
- Swap in: fruity and refreshing beverages. Too much sugar and too much alcohol can not only dehydrate you but can also make you feel bloated and tired. Try a fruity watermelon-basil daiquiri with watermelon, basil leaves, light rum or tequila, lime juice and simple syrup or refreshing cucumber sangria with sliced honeydew, cucumber, lime, mint, honey, white wine and carbonated water.
I'd love to know, what are some of your favorite BBQ swaps?
Thank you to KIND Snacks for "kindly" sending me samples of their new Strong & Kind Bars. #Yummy!