Stuffed peppers don't have to get all the glory. This Sunday dinner recipe for crab-and-couscous-stuffed tomato salad makes a pretty and delicious meal. Whether you include these for dinner as a first course or serve them as the main event, they're fun to dig into.
The couscous and crab get tossed with dressing as part of this creamy, chilled salad. The presentation is pretty too, so you can save this dish for special guests (if you can wait).
Crab-and-couscous-stuffed tomato salad recipe
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 2/3 cup uncooked couscous, prepared according to package directions and then cooled to room temperature
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot (further chopped)
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced small
- 2 green onions, ends removed, chopped small
- 5 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Slice off the tops of the tomatoes, just about 1/2 an inch.
- Use a paring knife and a small spoon (or grapefruit spoon) to cut and scoop out the insides of the tomatoes, including the seeds. If you have any pieces of tomato you can use, then set them aside and include them with the rest of the vegetables for the salad.
- Lay the hollowed-out tomatoes on a layer of paper towels for about 15 minutes, cut sides down so any remaining liquid can drain.
- Prepare the couscous according to the package directions, and then allow it to cool to room temperature.
- To a bowl, add the crab, couscous, carrot, celery, green onion and tomato pieces, and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and zest, thyme, cumin, salt and pepper. Taste, and adjust seasoning as needed.
- A little at a time, carefully fold the yogurt mixture into the crab mixture, mixing so all the ingredients are coated.
- Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes until mounded over the tops.
- Serve immediately.
Stuff your tomatoes with a tasty salad.