What's a picnic without coleslaw? This vegan version changes things up by using avocado as the base of the creamy dressing.
You'll almost always find coleslaw at any summer get-together or picnic. This recipe for vegan coleslaw with creamy avocado dressing is a delight that doesn't include mayo.
This coleslaw is crunchy to the max, and the dressing is made with avocados in place of the mayo. I think you'll enjoy the creaminess and sweet-yet-tangy flavor the dressing brings to this summer staple.
Note: Vegan foods are made without any animal or animal-derived products. Carefully check the packaging labels of food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are vegan.
Vegan coleslaw with creamy avocado dressing recipe
- 1 avocado, peeled, seed removed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2-3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, diced small
- Add the avocado, lemon juice and zest, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, celery salt and black pepper to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- To a bowl, add the cabbage, carrot and diced apple. Fold in the avocado mixture, stirring to coat all the ingredients.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This summer staple is welcome at any get-together.
More vegan recipes
Vegan grilled tofu with chimichurri sauce
Vegan ratatouille with tempeh
Vegan grilled eggplant roll-ups with roasted red pepper tapenade