Bread is a weakness of mine. Bread stuffed with sausage and cheese will make your body go weak in the knees.
I would pick another piece of bread over dessert any day. Bread is my weakness, and I can't help but look at it and all its glory. You can have honey bread, cornbread, pizza bread, wheat bread, sourdough bread, flatbread, ciabatta, and I could go on and on with this list. Don't ask me to pick out my favorite, because that will never happen... I love them all.
For this recipe I wanted to give a different twist to the traditional bread loaf by adding a braid to it, not to mention stuffing it with sausage and vegetables and then topping it with an oozing, melted cheese. I just might keep this loaf to myself.
Cheesy sausage-stuffed braided bread recipe
- 1 store-bought pizza dough
- 1 (16 ounce) Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the meat, and then add in the mushrooms and olives. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a floured countertop into a rectangular shape. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 3 even lengthwise pieces.
- Spread the meat mixture along the center of each strip, and seal up the dough, piercing it with a fork to secure it.
- Repeat until you have 3 long stuffed strips of bread. Braid the bread strips, and then place the braided loaf onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the cheese, and bake the bread in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
Tip: Pierced dough might start to unravel during the braiding process. Leave it unraveled, since the bread will be topped with cheese.
More amazing bread recipes
Bacon cornbread muffins