Quinoa, lean chicken breast, spinach and cannellini beans round out this bowl for a dish your body will thank you for.
Full disclosure: I discovered this recipe by pure happenstance. It was born from a massive rummage through ingredients I had lying around my kitchen. I was craving something hearty but healthy and this protein-packed powerhouse happened.
Quinoa is an excellent grain if you're tired of the same old rice and pasta casseroles this winter. It's light, fresh and offers a punch of fiber and protein that will make you feel great after you nosh on it. Speaking of healthy ingredients, lean chicken breast, spinach, cannellini beans and sun-dried tomatoes round out this bowl, for a dish your body will thank you for.
Sun-dried tomato protein power bowl
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 4 cups fresh spinach and arugula mixed greens
- 1 cup jarred sun dried tomato halves
- 1 cup drained, washed cannellini beans
- 1 diced red onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large frying pan, add the olive oil and let it heat over medium-high heat.
- Dice the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces and add it with the diced onions, garlic and spices to the hot oil.
- In a separate pot cook the 1/2 cup of rinsed quinoa with 3/4 cup of water until tender.
- When the chicken is white and fully cooked, add the sun-dried tomatoes to the mix and heat over low heat.
- In the frying pan, add the cannellini beans, the spinach and arugula greens and stir into the dish until the leaves soften and wilt.
- Now toss in the cooked quinoa. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and absorb some of the excess olive oil.
- Toss one final time and serve.