Rich, chocolaty and moist, this cake is a Valentine's Day crowd-pleaser that won't break your budget.
Valentine's Day is all about spoiling your sweetheart, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Raid the pantry for this moist chocolate cake recipe that uses ingredients you probably already have on hand. Cut the cake with a heart-shaped cookie cutter and dust it with powdered sugar for a made-with-love treat that won't break the bank.
Chocolate sweetheart snack cake
Recipe from the eMeals Dessert Plan
Yields 8-10 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add oil, vanilla, vinegar and 1 cup of warm water. Mix well. (The batter will be thin.) Pour the batter into an 8 x 8-inch pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Then let the cake cool completely.
- Use a 2-1/2- or 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out chocolate cake hearts. Sprinkle each serving with powdered sugar.
: If you don't have a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut the cake into 9 squares.