A cheerful mix of vegetables makes a beautiful backdrop for hoisin-glazed turkey meatballs in this toddler-friendly stir-fry.
This family-friendly dinner is a great introduction to Asian food. Hoisin-glazed turkey meatballs sit on a colorful mix of julienned, stir-fried vegetables. Kids can't resist the bright colors, and the thinly sliced veggies and little meatballs are finger friendly for the littlest eaters.
Chinese meatballs with rainbow stir-fry recipe
For the meatballs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (Shaoxing wine)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
For the vegetables
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- In a large bowl, mix together the turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, ginger, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Form the turkey mixture into 1-1/4-inch meatballs.
- In a large skillet, melt a little coconut oil at a time, and brown the meatballs in batches on all sides.
- In a saucepan, heat the soy sauce, rice wine and hoisin sauce on medium heat. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly reduced.
- Toss the meatballs in with the hoisin glaze.
- For the vegetables, heat the coconut oil in a skillet on high heat, and add the sliced vegetables. Toss well, and cook for about 4 minutes, until just softened.
- Stir in the soy sauce and rice vinegar.
- Plate the vegetables, and top with the hoisin-glazed turkey meatballs.
More kid-friendly dinners
Cloudy with chance of meatballs dinner
Quinoa sweet potato chicken nuggets
Chickpea beef skillet supper