We all are so over the standard goopy, mayonnaise-laden potato salad, right? Here's a super-elegant twist on everyone's favorite summer side dish.
Nothing says summertime like a good potato salad. While there are endless versions of this popular dish, it's a recipe that can really sing if you have a creative side. In this version I used several of my favorite flavors, like caramelized onions and tangy Gorgonzola cheese, and added in walnuts for some crunch. Plus, I even — gasp! — reduced the mayonnaise.
This makes a wonderful dish served alongside steak or grilled chicken, and since it's meat free, it's a great recipe for your vegetarian friends.
Caramelized onion and Gorgonzola potato salad recipe
- 1 pound small red potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 small lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 handful fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts (optional)
- Over medium-high heat, bring a large pot of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil.
- Add in the diced potatoes, and reduce the heat to medium. Cover, and cook the potatoes for 15 minutes or until they are tender. Drain the potatoes, and allow them to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the caramelized onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, Gorgonzola and the seasonings. Mix well, and stir in the diced red onion, celery and 1/2 the chopped parsley.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the bowl, and gently fold the potatoes into the mayonnaise mixture.
- Pour into a serving plate, and garnish with the remaining parsley and the crushed walnuts.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
More potato salad recipes
Red, white and blue potato salad
Warm herbed potato salad
Grilled sweet potato salad