This regional one-skillet wonder can be whipped together without much fuss. Not only delicious, but this recipe is perfect when you need to put together an easy meal.
Many people and places have their own version of migas, a traditional Tex-Mex dish. I say add your own spin to this easy, one-skillet regional favorite.
The word "migas" is Spanish for "crumbs," and the crumbs in this dish are the tortilla strips that work their way through the eggs, veggies and cheese. You'll love this easy and delicious regional dish.
For an easier prep, use tortilla chips instead of frying the corn tortilla strips yourself. There is some debate about whether you should add cheese to this dish, but cheese is always welcome in my home. Pick your favorite to include... or not.
Easy Texas-style migas recipe
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch strips, then cut in half
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce, to taste
- 2 ounces crumbled Cotija cheese
- Pinto or refried beans to serve on the side (optional)
- In a skillet on medium-high, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the tortilla strips, and cook (turning once) until they begin to change color and get crisp.
- Place the tortilla strips on a platter lined with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Add the onions to the pan, and cook for a few minutes or until they become tender.
- Add the eggs, salt and pepper to the skillet, and cook for just a minute or so, until the eggs begin to firm up.
- Add the tortilla strips back into the skillet along with the Cotija cheese. Cook with the egg, stirring so the strips don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, jalapeño and hot sauce. Continue to stir and cook until the eggs are scrambled the way you like them. Remove from the heat.
- Serve warm with beans on the side.
Try a Tex-Mex favorite.
More one-skillet meals
Spicy skillet chicken spaghetti
Vegan paella with soy chorizo
Fritos skillet pie