Rocky road is a favorite summer flavor that usually comes in the form of ice cream. Why not turn that favorite flavor into brownies this year?
Rocky road ice cream has always been a favorite flavor of mine, and it definitely reminds me of summertime. For this recipe for gluten-free rocky road brownies, I turned things a little inside out. I didn't skip out on the ice cream but rather served these delightfully rich brownies over plain vanilla ice cream.
These brownies have everything that is right with rocky road: chocolate, marshmallows and toasted almonds. With all these combined, you'll dig into a rich dessert with a touch of crunch. You could serve these brownies without ice cream, but why would you?
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Gluten-free rocky road brownie recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, rough chopped
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Add the melted butter, milk and vanilla extract, and beat together until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and add the wet ingredients a little at a time. Mix to combine.
- When the batter is combined and smooth, fold in 1/2 cup of the marshmallows and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centers of the brownies comes out clean.
- Turn off the oven, and remove the brownies. Evenly sprinkle the remaining marshmallows, chocolate chips and almonds over the tops.
- While the oven is still warm, return the brownies to it for just a few minutes, until the chocolate chips are slightly melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and let the brownies cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Hit the rocky road for dessert.
More gluten-free recipes
Gluten-free berry and flaxseed frozen yogurt parfaits
Gluten-free blueberry and coconut bars
Gluten-free sweet, savory and spicy popcorn