I have a lot of Asian recipes, but let me share with you this particular one I grew up with. It involves oyster sauce and loads of vegetables.
Like most kids, I avoided vegetables when I was a child, but there was one dish that was an exception. Maybe the quail eggs or the cashews were responsible, tricking my senses. Or maybe it was the oyster sauce, which gave the dish an exquisite Asian touch. What's important was that I ate the vegetables without a single complaint. Fast-forward to now, and the dish remains a big favorite of mine.
You will love the crispness of the vegetables and how the other ingredients blend with them. Oyster sauce is commonly used in Chinese dishes, and it always adds a rich flavor.
Vegetable stir-fry in oyster sauce with shrimp, quail eggs and cashews recipe
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Peanut oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 ounces green beans
- 2 pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 12 quail eggs, hard-boiled and shelled
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts
- In a small, dry saucepan over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds for 2 minutes, and then set them aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch with the water, and set it aside.
- In a wok or saucepan with peanut oil over medium heat, sauté the garlic and the onion.
- Add the broccoli, and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, green beans and shrimp. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the water-cornstarch mixture and the oyster sauce. Cover, and cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and sesame oil.
- Add the quail eggs, cashews and sesame seeds. Mix carefully, and then turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with steamed white rice.
More vegetable stir-fry recipes
Gluten-free quinoa and veggie stir-fry
Spicy chicken and vegetable stir-fry
Stir-fry noodles with shrimp and vegetables