Cupcakes are great for any holiday, but they make Father's Day extra special when adorned with cute candy ties.
These cupcakes are a creative and simple way to show Dad you've been thinking of him. The cupcakes are simply frosted with blue buttercream, but neckties made from taffy add a whimsical touch and may have Dad asking for multiple ties this Father's Day!
You can use any kind of stretchy candy that can be molded and shaped to create the ties. I used a Smarties taffy.
Start by cutting out 18 pieces of taffy that are 1 inch long by 1/2 inch wide.
Use a paring knife to trim each piece into the bottom portions of your ties.
Now cut out 18 pieces that are about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch.
Place the small rectangle on the top of a tie, and fold under the bottom corners of the rectangle to form the knot.
Use a star tip to pipe the buttercream onto your cupcakes, and then place a tie on the center of each.
Father's Day tie cupcakes recipe
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist Cake Mix (I used white)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable or melted coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Blue Wilton icing color
- 2 taffy bars (I used Smarties brand)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a muffin pan with paper cups.
- Mix together the cake mix, water, oil and eggs, beating on low speed for 30 seconds and then on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the lined muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 to 19 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool.
- Cut out 18 pieces of taffy, each 1 inch by 1/2 inch.
- Trim each piece into the shape of the bottom portions of your ties.
- Cut out 18 pieces of taffy that are about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch.
- Place the small rectangles of taffy on the tops of the ties, and fold under the bottom corners of the rectangles to form the knots.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, whip the butter until creamy. Continue whipping it, adding powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, and then mix in the vanilla and enough color to get a nice light blue shade.
- Use a star tip to pipe the buttercream frosting onto each cupcake, and place a taffy tie in the center of each.
- Eat within a couple of days, as the taffy will start to soften from heat or humidity.
More Father's Day recipes
Bacon bonanza for Father's Day
Homemade beef jerky for Father's Day
Steak brownie for Father's Day