A breakfast sandwich is great, but it gets even better when made with a sweet glazed doughnut. This is the perfect balance between sweet and savory.
I don't think I realized how much people love breakfast sandwiches until I moved to New York. Yeah, we had breakfast sandwiches in Ohio, but they were more of a quick weeknight dinner type of deal. Here in New York, they are the go-to morning breakfast. Usually they're served on a bagel or a hard roll, but I decided to give my sandwich a bit of a sweet twist. This is weirdly not the first time I have a made a doughnut breakfast sandwich, but it is the first time I have done it with a glazed doughnut. I love the lightness of the yeast doughnut and the slight sweetness the glaze brings. This sandwich is the perfect balance of savory and sweet.
Loaded glazed doughnut breakfast sandwich recipe
- 4 glazed doughnuts
- 4 thick slices bacon
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice open the doughnuts, and set them aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the bacon, and cook until it is crisp.
- Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, and drain all but 2 teaspoons of bacon grease from the pan.
- Add the doughnuts cut side down to the pan, and cook until browned. This helps warm the doughnut and gives them just a slight crispness.
- Remove the doughnuts from the pan, and set them aside.
- Add a little more bacon grease (or vegetable oil) to the pan to fry your eggs. After you crack the eggs into the pan, break the yolks, and season them with salt and pepper.
- Once the bottoms of the eggs are cooked, flip them, and continuing frying until the other sides are browned and fully cooked.
- Add 1 egg and 1 slice of bacon (broken in half) to a doughnut bottom, and top it with the top half of the doughnut.
- Enjoy warm.
Note: You can add cheese if you wish, but I felt the sandwich did not need the extra ingredient. You can also dip your sandwich in maple syrup if you are feeling adventurous.
More doughnut recipes
4 Gluten-free mini doughnuts
Sweet potato baked doughnuts
Copycat Dunkin' Donuts jelly doughnuts