Spicy pickled jalapeños make this classic sandwich even more of a winner.
Taking a few minutes at lunch to make a hot sandwich is almost always worth the extra effort. Sandwiches have little appeal to me when they're just a bunch of cold cuts layered on bread. Heat that sucker up, though, and throw some condiments in the middle, and I change my tune pretty quickly. This spicy Monte Cristo not only has the hot pickled jalapeños in the center, but the whole thing is dipped in an egg mixture before panfrying. It's basically savory French toast. Can't go wrong with that.
Spicy jalapeño Monte Cristo recipe
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 slices turkey breast
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 pickled jalapeños, seeded, sliced in half and flattened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Spread the mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread.
- Layer the turkey, ham, cheese and jalapeños on the mayonnaise side of one slice of bread, and then top with the other slice of bread.
- In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- Coat both sides of the sandwich in the egg mixture, and transfer to the hot skillet.
- Cook the sandwich for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Slice and serve warm.
More sandwich recipes
Chicken adobo sandwiches
Philly cheese steak sandwiches
Chili relleno grilled cheese sandwiches