These three desserts are made with lots of blueberries. Simple to prepare and sure to please, they're perfect for picnics and summer gatherings.
Blueberry pie bar recipe
Blueberry pie bars are so much simpler to make than a pie and are the perfect summer dessert. They even have a cream cheese frosting.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup blueberry pie filling
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Add in the whole egg and then the egg yolk, and then beat in the vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix until combined.
- Press 1/2 the mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the blueberry pie filling over the bottom crust.
- Scoop small dollups of the remaining mixture over the blueberry mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine the last 4 ingredients. Beat until smooth, and add milk if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Spread the glaze over the cooled bars.
Healthy miniature blueberry muffins recipe
Loaded with blueberry jam and healthy ingredients, these unique miniature blueberry muffins are bursting with flavor.
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons blueberry or plain yogurt
- 1 large egg white (save the yolk for another recipe or discard)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or another milk of your choice)
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar-free blueberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Do not use muffin liners.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir and set aside.
- In another medium-size bowl, combine the honey, applesauce, brown sugar, yogurt and egg white. Stir until completely combined, and then slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. It will be very thick. Add the milk, and continue to gently mix together the ingredients. The milk will help to thin out the batter, but it will still be a bit thick. Gently fold in the blueberries. Do not overmix the batter, or the muffins will be dense.
- Fill the mini muffin cups about 3/4 full, and then add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of jam into the batter. Cover the jam completely with the batter.
- Once all the muffin tins are filled, add a few blueberries on the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 14 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
- Remove and let cool.
Blueberry pie-topped pancake cups recipe
These pancake cups are made in a muffin tin and topped with delicious blueberry pie filling. A generous drizzle of syrup makes an amazing combination of flavors.
- 1-1/8 teaspoons yeast
- 1-1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm milk, divided
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and then cooled
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- Maple syrup (optional)
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the 2 tablespoons of the warm milk. Allow to sit and become creamy for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk and melted butter. Add in the yeast, sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour slowly.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Carefully fold them in with the flour. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and allow the mixture to rise for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop a generous amount of batter into a regular-size muffin tin that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and spoon blueberry pie filling over each pancake cup. Drizzle maple syrup on top, if desired.
More dessert recipes
Fresh fruits for summer desserts
Fruit cocktail dessert
Fruit and marshmallow dessert pizzas