This tasty enchilada is loaded with Mexican breakfast essentials and completely acceptable for breakfast time.
One of my favorite foods is Mexican food. Anything Mexican, to be exact. Here I took the concept of a regular enchilada and made it breakfast worthy. This version is filled with chorizo sausage, diced onions and peppers and topped with an egg I cooked sunny side up. I like my food spicy, so I couldn't leave out the freshly sliced jalapeños and a good drizzle of hot sauce. If you don't like hot sauce, you can substitute with mild enchilada sauce.
Spicy breakfast enchiladas recipe
For the enchiladas
- 8 flour tortillas (I used fajita size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, crumbled
- 4 large red potatoes, diced finely
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced finely
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the topping
- 4 whole eggs
- Fresh sliced jalapeño peppers
- Diced red onions
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a medium-size baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large pan, add the olive oil and the crumbled chorizo. Cook the chorizo until its juices run clear and it is cooked completely.
- Once cooked, add in the potatoes and onions, and cook an additional 10 minutes or until the potatoes have begun to brown.
- Allow the potato mixture to cool slightly, and then divide it among the 8 tortillas. Roll up the tortillas, and place them seam side down in the baking dish.
- Cover with the shredded cheese, and bake 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted nicely. Remove from the oven.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Crack the eggs into the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes for sunny side up eggs.
- Divide the enchiladas among 4 plates, and gently top the enchiladas with the eggs.
- Garnish with the fresh toppings and hot sauce (or enchilada sauce), and serve immediately.
More Mexican-inspired recipes
Mexican rice puddinng
Mexican-style French toast
Baked chilaquiles with eggs