Easy to prepare, this decadent dish will entice you with its creamy, flavorful mix that's just a little off the beaten path.
While this might not qualify as being a bonus for your diet, you'll absolutely want to indulge in this Meatless Monday recipe for mustardy mac 'n' cheese with peas. It's not like anything you'd get from a box, but it's just as easy to make.
I added whole-grain Dijon mustard to this dish to lift its flavor, and I love how it brightens up what could otherwise simply be a basic dish. I added peas for color and veggie factor, and they help brighten the dish too. There's really no skimping when it comes to the creaminess of this dish, so consider it an indulgent treat.
Mustardy mac 'n' cheese with peas recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow or small penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2-1/2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, then drain it, and set it aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour a little at a time while whisking. Cook for about 5 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Pour in the milk a little at a time. Add the mustard, increase the heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the salt, pepper and sage, and then mix. Fold in 1-3/4 cups of the cheese, stirring, until melted.
- Turn off the heat, add the peas to the mixture, and toss to combine. Add the pasta and mix so it is well coated.
- Add the mixture to a serving bowl, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Serve warm.
Indulge in this dish.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Spanish omelet sandwiches
Quinoa, avocado and roasted red pepper hummus wraps
Tofu and bok choy lo mein