It's true — mac 'n' cheese can actually be healthy. This Greek yogurt and spinach version still gives you all that creamy goodness but without the massive calorie count.
My husband is a mac and cheese fiend. Knowing this, if I was a good wife, I'd make it more often. But the thought of the state of my kitchen afterward is usually enough to deter me. With multiple pots, casserole dishes for baked versions and cheese everywhere, it's just not worth the effort most times.
Not only is this Greek yogurt version a one-pot meal that comes together in literally 15 minutes, but it's healthy to boot. No caloric bomb béchamel sauces, just healthy, protein-packed Greek yogurt is used for the creaminess. Your kitchen and your hips will thank you.
Creamy Greek yogurt mac 'n' cheese with spinach recipe
- 2 cups elbow pasta
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese (any will do, but I used 1/2 cheddar, 1/2 mozzarella)
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook according to the package directions.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pot, and add the cheeses, yogurt and spinach. Add the reserved cooking water to thin the sauce as needed.
- Toss until the spinach is wilted and the cheese is coating all the pasta.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
More mac and cheese recipes
Mini mac and cheese pies
Smoked Gouda mac and cheese
Broccoli chicken macaroni and cheese