Just add crusty bread to turn this beloved Spanish dish into sandwiches. You'll love the simplicity and flavor of these sandwiches.
Meatless Monday comes but once a week, but you might like this recipe for Spanish omelet sandwiches so much that you'll make it more often. It's easy to prepare with simple ingredients and makes a hearty meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
A Spanish omelet — or tortilla de patata, as it's called in Spain — is a simple dish made with a base of potatoes, onions and eggs. There are many versions of this favorite Spanish dish, and this meatless option does double duty by serving as the main ingredient for sandwiches.
Choose your favorite bread rolls or crusty bread to slice and serve for this sandwich. It's simple, but guaranteed, you'll want to make this dish again and again, whether you add it to a sandwich or eat it as is.
Spanish omelet sandwich recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 onion or about 1/3 cup, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 square sandwich rolls or buns, sliced in half
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- To a 10-inch nonstick and ovenproof skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the potatoes, and cook, tossing occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until cooked and golden.
- Add the onion to the potatoes, and cook for about 5 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Add the red bell pepper and garlic, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the eggs to a bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Season the eggs with the dried parsley, salt and black pepper. Pour the mixture over the potato mixture, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the eggs begin to set.
- Place the skillet in the oven, and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until the eggs are cooked. Remove from the oven, and toss the cheese evenly over the top of the mixture. The heat from the skillet will melt the cheese.
- Remove the omelet from the skillet and onto a cutting board. Cut into 4 pieces, big enough to cover the bottom half of the sandwich roll.
- Top with the remaining bread, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Turn a favorite Spanish dish into sandwiches.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Quinoa, avocado and roasted red pepper hummus wraps
Tofu and bok choy lo mein
Creamy sweet potato and asparagus lasagna