VIDEO: Spiked horchata recipe
A traditional yet trendy treat
This Mexican mainstay of sweetened milk, vanilla and cinnamon might be the perfect drink to pair with rum for your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
Spiked horchata recipe
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup rice or almond flour (bobsredmill.com)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark or light rum (optional)
- Ice cubes
- Ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the whole milk and cinnamon stick to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl.
- Whisk in the condensed milk, flour and vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, and stir in the rum, if using.
- Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses.
- Garnish with ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks.
More drink recipes
Start Fresh horchata recipe for kids
VIDEO: Grilled pineapple daiquiri recipe