This delicious potato dish served at Cracker Barrel is a very popular menu item. Learn how to make this simple yet satisfying copycat version right at home.
If you have ever dined at Cracker Barrel, then you have most likely devoured a bowl of its hash brown casserole. This potato-based dish is very easy to make right at home with a few simple ingredients. While this recipe calls for cream of chicken soup, you can easily swap it out for a vegetable-based cream soup and keep it completely vegetarian. Not only is it simple, but it's a great breakfast dish everyone will love.
Copycat Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole recipe
- 2 pounds frozen hash browns, thawed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 (10-1/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (or substitute with cream of mushroom soup)
- 1 (16 ounce) container low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and lightly spray a medium-size baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the oil, onions and hash browns. Cook the hash browns and onions for 10 to 15 minutes or until the hash browns are a nice golden brown. Once cooked, add to a large mixing bowl.
- To the bowl, add the remaining ingredients and 1 cup of the cheese. Mix very well, and then pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese, and bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are bubbling and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with extra sour cream if desired, and serve immediately.
More copycat recipes
Copycat Whole Foods California quinoa salad
Copycat Starbucks black bean quinoa wrap
Wendy's copycat chili